Thursday 19 March 2009

the dreaded weigh in...

The obligatory post weigh in picture :D with my head and bad bed hair included.... on request!! This t-shirt though faded and hideous (I no longer love Greenday) it shows a little bit more of my figure than the baggier stuff I am wearing. It is even a little loose itself which is awesome because it used to be skin tight and stretch over my stomach. It from like 6 years ago when I was fifteen. Yep. Enormous at 15.  So at least in one picture I can actually see a bit more of a difference.

Just a one pound loss this week. I know, I said just. A loss is better than a gain, all the small loses add up blah blah  blah but I just feel I deserved a little more this week. Plus I kinda had my heart set on reaching the twenty poud loss mark. I worked twice as hard and ate on plan alllllllllllllllll week. I exercised more but the scale doesn't reflect it... maybe next week will be better. I am not going to dwell on it. Rant over. *deep breath* A pound is a g
reat loss. Yes. I will be happy with it. 

Whilst I was working up a sweat on the treadmill I was wondering how long it takes to burn the fat. I mean, was the fat burning off immediately? How long does it take for the fat to leave your body? I tried googling it and I don't know if I am phrasing it right but I couldn't find any conclusive answers. I don't know if that is just me being obsessive about it or what but I am thinking about it more and more.
(my version of the pie. A hearty slice)
Also lol... I think I talked up my steak and mushroom pie to the maximum on one of my posts. It really was delicious. So with several requests I am posting the recipe. I hope it turns out as delicious for you as it did for me. :D I still some left over from yesterday... having it for dinner tonight m...mmmmmm. Looking forward to trying more recipes. :D

***************************************************************************************************
Steak and Mushroom Pie

Serves 4
Ingredients...
 1 large onion
681g /1and a half lbs lean cubed braising steak
1 level tbsp corn flour
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
284ml/ half a pint of beef stock
227g/80z closed cup mushrooms
3 x28g/ 1 oz sheets of filo pastry
1 medium egg beaten

destructions...
a. peel and slice the onion and place in a pan. remove all visable fat from steak, toss in cornflour and add them to the pan with the bay leaves and seasoning. add the stock and about 142ml/ quarter pint of water just to cover the beef. bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1 and a half hours until the beef is tender. cool, then discard the bay leaves.

b. preheat the oven to 222*c/425*f/gas 7. quarter the mushrooms and place in a two pint pie dish. add the beef and the onions using a slotted spoon and pour over about 200ml of the cooking juices til it comes halfway up the dish. the meat will come to the top but once the mushrooms cook they will sink down.

c.brush each sheet of filo pastry with egg, lightly scrunch it up and place on top of the meat, spread the sheets out until all the meat is properly covered in pastry. brush generously with egg and bake for 20 minutes. lower the heat to 180*c/350*f/gas 4 and cook for a further 20 minutes until golden and hot. serve with what ever your heart desires.

VOILA. enjoy.

15 comments:

Dina said...

One pound is great! Google "one pound fat replica" and look at the pic. Just think of taking that off your body!

And cute pic!

Apex Zombie said...

Hey, you're looking really good in that photo!

I understand about being disappointed about it just being a 1 lb loss, but instead of thinking about the loss, think about the effort you put in, and sustained. The scale might not have reflected the effort, but it's not all about the number on the scale, right? You proved for another week that you CAN do the things you need to help you get healthier.

I used to know the chain of energy sources and how the body uses them. I think it first uses up the glucose already in the blood, then it calls on the glycogen stores, and then the fat stores.

Oh, and I don't suppose you'd have the calories for the pie? It sounds like the perfect thing to have tomorrow after the Meatout :D

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Your steak and mushroom pie look delish. They are two of my favorite foods.
Great job with lossing a pound this week. I know what it feels like to feel like you should have lost more some weeks because you worked so hard but it will eventually catch up. I bet you will have a great loss next week. That is how it seems to work with me.
Keep up the great work and thanks for sharin the recipe.

Tricia said...

Aw, I still love Green Day! They got a new album coming out soon!

The metric system...crazy.

I think it's something like 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but I read that in another blog and if it's on the internet, it has to be true. Congrats on the pound, friend!

Carlos said...

congrats on the loss and the pie... who says brits can't cook!

Unknown said...

GREAT job on the loss! :) Can I stop by for some apple pie? It's my FAV!

:) tj

Tony said...

The best way to lose fat while exercising is doing HIIT (high intensity interval training). Short spurts are the best, instead of doing long sessions of cardio. When losing weight, you lose a combination of muscle and fat, so the best way to retain as much muscle as possible is to do strength training.

Great job on the loss!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your weight loss!

antgirl said...

A pound is a pound and it has a minus in front of it. Woooot!!!

As females, we have hormones and crap to deal with that can effect our weight. You're also in the beginning phases. I think it takes some time for our bodies to learn to trust us. My first year, I did not feel like I lost very much - maybe 30-40 lbs. I made some adjustments in year two [actually eating more] and lost most of the excess weightage that year. So, don't be discouraged, be excited. You're one pound closer and you're on your way. That's exciting.

Your efforts will show up and you will see them.

I can see all the extra fabric in that shirt hanging on you. Concentrate on the positives. That's what will keep you going. Keeping going will get you to where you want to go.

Looking forward to trying the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...the notorious just 1lb....LOL...I posted this on my blog last year but since I didn't know you then I will post it here for you ;p

Hello!
Do you know me?
If you don't, you should.
I am ONE POUND OF FAT, and I amthe happiest pound of FAT that you would ever want to meet! Want to know why?
It's because no one ever wants to lose me!
After all, I am only ONE POUND OF FAT. Just ONE POUND.
Everyone wants to lose 3 or 5 or 15pounds, but never ONLY one.
So, I just stick around and happily keep you.
Then I am free to add to myself, ever so slyly, so that you never seem to notice...
That is, until I have grown to 10, 20 or even 30 pounds in weight...
YES... it is fun being ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT... left to do just as I please.
So, when you weigh in, go ahead... just keep on saying, "Oh I only lost one pound." (As if that is so terrible.)
For you see, if you do this, you will encourage others to hang around me because they will think that I am not worth losing.
And I LOVE being around you... your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips, and every other part of you.

HAPPY DAYS!

After all, I am ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT!!!
~Author Unknown

Congrats on your "1" pound loss =)

My Big Fat Super Super Obese Blog said...

Haha, love the one pound of fat comment. I know what its like though when you work so hard and really stick to your program because you have a goal in mind and then you barely see the scale move. It sucks, no two ways about it.

On the other hand, I think you are looking marvelous!!! Isn't it awesome to see clothes that used to conform to your body now actually have some wiggle room? Thats the best!

Danielle said...

One pound less to lose in the end. You are doing well either way. Even if the weight didn't do it this week it doesn't mean that you haven't incresed your health. The working out is good for you in 100 different ways... You just keep it going!

~ugly girl with a beautiful heart~ said...

One pound is great! Did you take your measurements? All that cardio will help you drop those inches hon!

SeaShore said...

You look really good! Both the shirt and the pants are too big :)

Congratulations on the 1 lb loss!

wildfluffysheep said...

@Dina
I did google it :D Thanks, gives me a bit more perspective.

@FLG
Thank you very much. You are right, its about more than a number on the scale. I just have to remember that. I am way more healthier.
Sorry, I'm not counting calories so I have no idea.

@Jessica@pudget
it was delicious :D I hope it does catch up. It just spurs me on to try harder this week. Thanks and you are welcome.

@Tricia
I don't like their new stuff.... I used to love them. Thanks.

@Carlos
This Brit is a cookin' ;) thankyou.

@TJ
thank you very much missus. :D

@Tony
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

@the healthy family
thank you very much :D

@antgirl
very true :D Thanks for sharing your insights as as someone whos been there and done it, it really helps. I shall try to be more excited. I really do have to concentrate on the positives because actually there are SO many. Hope you do try the recipe.

@Natasha
lol. thanks for posting this. It really made me smile and helped me put the pound into perspective. Really, thanks.

@My big fat super obese blog
Initially it did suck, just because I'd work twice as hard and lost less. Kinda frustrating. Thank you for the lovely comments :D

@Losing Waist
Definitely. Better than a gain. In the long term it is about my health. Just have to focus on that :D

@Ugly girl with a beautiful heart
I didn't take my measurements, I have decided to do those every two weeks, lest I become obsessed with those numbers too!

@Sheshore
Thank you very very much :D